Bank Accounts

Aurelia will provide guidance in setting up a bank account upon arrival. Similar to Canada, there are a number of banking options for you to choose from. Our community of teachers currently working in the UK are happy to provide feedback on which banks they chose to work with and why. Many banks, such as HSBC or Lloyds, will require documents that take some time to collect such as your UK proof of address and British Residence Permit. There are other banks, such as Monzo, which work primarily through an App and require less time consuming documentation check which means arranging an account can be done quickly upon (or in some cases prior to) arrival.

It is important that you research your banking options prior to arrival to decide which option best suits your needs.

National Insurance Number

What is a National Insurance number?  Your National Insurance number makes sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are only recorded against your name. It’s made up of letters and numbers and never changes. You can register for this only once you are in the UK and have a new permanent address.

You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.   Jobcentre Plus may ask you to go to an interview to confirm your identity.

Registering with a Doctor

National Heath Services (NHS) are available to you and National Insurance (NI) contributions are deducted from your pay to ensure you have access to the NHS. Aurelia will advise you on how to apply for you NI number once you have arrived in the UK. It is a good idea to register with a local GP as soon as possible. Visiting a doctor is free and prescriptions are very affordable.

Registering with a doctor in the UK can only be done once you have a permanent address. Once you have this, you can use your postal code on the following website to call and book an appointment:


  1. Insert your postal code

  2. Start calling through the list to see if they have space to take on new patients

  3. When you find one who does, book appointment and register

  4. There will be a number of other topics covered in your in person induction but this gives you a heads up on a few things.

Will I get to travel?

YES! With holidays taking place nearly every 6 weeks (13 weeks in total), it is easy to find time to take a trip. Over term breaks, schools close down and teachers are not expected to work - perfect time for travelling! Travelling in the UK/Continental Europe is fairly inexpensive, and there are many discount or budget services and websites to explore such as Kayak, Skyscanner, Hostelworld, and Airbnb to find great deals. There are also railcard discounts available through The benefit of being connected with a large group of Canadians in your area, or the UK in general, is that you will always be able to find a new travel buddy!

How will I be paid?

Aurelia will assist you with the payroll service closer to your arrival in the UK.  Because you are an agency worker, you will not be paid directly by the schools. You must electronically submit time sheets each week to be approved by your supervisor and Aurelia, who then authorizes your pay to be released through direct deposit into your bank account. Remember that your first paycheck won't be until the end of September.

Money Transfer

What is the best way to transfer money back to my Canadian bank account (to pay OSAP, loans or to save)?

There are a few options, as several companies offer this service. Transferwise, Travelex and PayPal are examples of services some of our current teachers are using. Certain banks will also have UK and Canadian branches, allowing for easier transfer of funds between accounts.